Friday, March 28, 2008

Two afternoons with Lawson

A couple of weeks ago, Lawson and I spent the afternoon in Alexandria. It was pretty cold but not AS cold as it has been, which is kind of a victory up here.


Lesson #1. Never operate without a baby wrangler. I took my good camera with me this day and thought I would get some great portraits of Lawson since Alexandria is such a beautiful, old town. This was the first good spot I found but, instead of standing and walking like he has recently learned and generally being cute, he just picked up stuff off the ground and put it in his mouth. He'll eat rocks and sticks but rice is somehow repulsive to him. So this photo marks the beginning and the end of a great day of portrait shooting. Next time, I'll bring Courtney along.


You will notice that the rest of the pictures are just Lawson in his stroller. This is a marina on the Potomac.


We went to an art gallery called the Torpedo Factory which was, you guessed it, a former torpedo factory! Naturally, they had torpedos all over the place to remind you where you were.


Lawson has recently learned to clap. He enjoys it.


A couple of weeks later, Lawson and I decided to take advantage of the fact that Spring FINALLY made it up to Washington, DC. It was a balmy 65 degrees and we wanted to take full advantage. We took a loooooong walk on the Mount Vernon Trail, which runs from Arlington all the way down to Mt. Vernon. The entire trail is about 25 miles long. We took in about five miles from Arlington down to the Reagan Airport. It was such a beautiful day.


On the Potomac, Lincoln Memorial in the background.


Its so warm, even flowers can live!


Another photo of Lawson with the flowers.

Lawson has also JUST learned how to wave! When we got on the Metro to go home (this was a one-way walk), his stroller was facing the crowd. He performed marvelously. I only caught a snippet on camera but he did this for a good 3 or 4 minutes.

3 comments:

Joy said...

Hey, That wall would make great pictures if you can get the little man to cooperate! Love the metro video.
MeMe

Kyler, Jennifer, Olivia and Lucy said...

Dave, your day-in-the-life stories of stay at home parents are sooo much more interesting than mine, lol. I'm jealous, the only place we have walk are the tiny walking trail in Berry. Your scenery is much better.

Dave Long said...

I know the walking trail in Berry and I think its pretty cool. As any stay-at-home parent knows, 95% of life is poop-sleep-cry-eat and its the same up here. We are just trying to take advantage of the sights while we have the opportunity. Thank you for checking out the blog and thanks for all your comments - that keeps us writing.