Hi there - it's Courtney. For those of you who have heard me talk about how Lawson seems to only eat green beans and peas and GAGS anytime we try to give him stage 3 foods, I wanted to give you an update! We came back from Alabama after Easter with a renewed determination to get Lawson eating a wider variety of food. Monday night I pureed some chicken breast and mixed in with his green beans. I put the tiniest bit on his tongue and he literally began gagging and even dry heaving! He made "yakking" sounds like 3 times! It was, of course, pitiful, but also actually pretty funny because he reacted so violently to the smallest bite of chicken puree you've ever seen! The next morning I made him some toast with his standard morning helping of applesauce and he did take a few small bites. That was encouraging. Then, Dave found some "chicken and apples" stage 2 baby food at the grocery store, so I tried that Tuesday night and... he ate every bit of it! I was so relieved. I read the ingredients though and chicken is the last thing on the list. That leads me to believe, it's more like applesauce! I also tried giving him bites of a biscuit this week; he ate a few bites of that too. He's also been eating the "graduates finger foods" puff bites that Aunt Kim gave him for Easter. I think it's helped him get used to actually chewing his food. We also finally moved him out of the Bumbo for feedings and into the highchair seat Aunt Kim let us borrow. This has been helpful to put small bites of food on the larger tray for him to pick up. Dave said they split a banana the other day. Tonight, I tried the pureed chicken breast again, and it went much better. I mixed it in again with the green beans, and he did actually eat some without any gagging this time! Something that does concern me is that we gave him bites of canned pears this afternoon, and he broke out a little bit almost immediately on his face. He did this over Easter when we gave him a couple of bites of strawberry, but it was worse. He actually had hives on his chest. Let me know if anyone has any suggestions on how to handle this?? I'm thinking that we will avoid strawberries for a while. I read that Lily Grace is also having trouble transitioning to table food, so I guess we're in good company! :)
Also, Dave would probably tell this next story better, but I wanted to document Lawson's first official vomiting! It happened while Dave and Lawson were at the grocery store. Lawson was in the cart seat, and Dave had given him one of the grocery items to chew on. Unfortunately, the item has one of those plastic safety covers on the lid, and a small piece broke off into his mouth and he began gagging on it. When Dave realized what had happened, he immediately stuck his fingers into his mouth to fish it out. I guess this triggered Lawson's newfound gag reflex and he puked all over Dave in the grocery store! Of course, Dave was just relieved the plastic piece was out his throat. Now that Lawson is so active, it seems Dave and I are reminded on a daily basis of how closely you have to watch his every move. It's been a big week for little man!
6 comments:
I think the thing to do with the allergic reaction is definitely hold off on those particular foods and reintroduce those a few months down the road. Don't worry too much about that. Just be mindful of those foods. Keep trying on the table foods, though. He will soon familiarize himself with the different textures and tastes and eventually you will find a variety of foods he likes! It is just trial and error and sounds like you are off to a good start. This is a difficult stage, but it will pass. When you do find a table food he truly loves, you will be able to sit back and take pleasure in watching Lawson's sweet face of satisfaction!! Love you!
I bet he's waiting on you to give him a bite of steak!
We are going through some of the same things with Lizzie. She isn't a good eater and it really worries me. She loves fruits...pretty much all of them. She did, however, have an incident similar to Lawson with the pears. The first time I tried them was at my parents' house and her cheeks turned red...2 different times. Then a few weeks or months later I tried them again and the same thing happened. We don't even attempt them now. One thing Lizzie really liked/likes is the turkey, rice and vegetable #3 baby food. She will still eat that as well as the chicken noodle and chicken vegetable. Since she isn't a really good eater, I give her instant breakfast in her milk every morning. You'll eventually come across something he really likes, feed it to him until he hates it, and start all over again!! :) The joys of raising kids!! Hang in there! Ali
I agree with Kim in that he is discovering new textures and tastes and is probably just adjusting. Olivia gagged on my pureed chicken too so don't feel bad about that. I have found that it takes multiple times for Olivia to actually aquire a taste for new foods. For Olivia at around 10 months she no longer wanted to be fed and was read to feed herself. I gave her things like cut up fruit, muffins, pasta, cut up steamed veggies, crackers, cheese, eggs, basically any soft finger food. I was terrifed at first that she would choke, but she proved to me very quickly that she was ready. She is a wonderful eater, but still has certain food that she doesn't like because of the texture.
Just remember every child is different and Lawson will eat tablefoods when he is ready.
Bennett's first table food was dry pancakes, which she liked. Other items that some of my books recommend are bananas, toasted bread, scrambled eggs. As the others have stated, it is simply just repetition. Bennett first hated the stage 3 foods too, but now she chokes them down. Although lately she has become a big fan of table food like pasta, pulled chicken and whole green beans. Since she still doesn't have teeth, we are going with small bites, but it is amazing what they can gum (especially when hungry). Good luck!
Hey Court! Lily Grace hates the 3rd Foods with Turkey in it, she only likes Chicken Noodle, Vegetable Chicken, and Vegetable Beef. She eats one of those every night for dinner along with a dessert. We don't have any problems with all the other baby foods like fruits and veggies but I just can't figure out what table foods and how much to give her. It scares me to death feeding her "big" food because of choking. She loves salteen crackers, cheese quesadillas, puffs, ritz, cookies, cake, ice cream, anything sweet, pasta, boiled egg yolks, mashed potatoes and steemed veggies. This is as far as we have got on table foods. Maybe y'all can try some of these. Oh and meats really scare me! I know they will eat when they are ready but I am afraid I am not always feeding her properly, giving her what see needs or I might give her something that will hurt her tummy. Good luck and I know everything will work out! I will be thinking of y'all. Love y'all!
Post a Comment