Saturday, September 26, 2009

Goodbye Clarence

Lawson and I went down to Berry on Friday morning to attend the funeral of an old friend, Clarence Pendley. He was 75 years old. My earliest memories of church are associated with Clarence and his wife, Shelby. I used to sit between almost every single Sunday during church. I would also go home with them after church almost every single Sunday too. I did this for years; probably until I was 9 or 10. We had lost touch over the years, but I called about two weeks ago, and by coincidence, had my last conversation with Clarence. I was very sad to hear he had passed, but I felt a sense of peace knowing I had talked to him recently.

If it's possible to say this about a funeral, Clarence's was one of the best I've ever been to. His son, Mel, is a police officer in Nashville, and dressed in uniform, he told about a beautiful love story between his mom and dad, the wonderful friends his dad always talked about, and how he loved the Lord. It was a sweet celebration of his life.

Goodbye, Clarence. I love you.

1 comment:

Joy said...

Sweet post. He would have been proud.