Sunday, September 13, 2009

Auburn Game

Yes, it's true. I paid good money to attend an Auburn football game this weekend. At least it was against Mississippi State. No love for that school. Goes back to my Bama Belle days. I was a football recruiting hostess along with about 50 other women; each home game we hosted the high school recruits showing them the campus, escorting them onto the field during warm-ups, and then sitting with them and their families during the game. Anyway, the BBs took our annual away game trip together one year to MS. After losing a heartbreaking game, we were mobbed by an extremely classless and distasteful crowd of MS fans. We had to be surrounded by police just to get on the bus! I realize this is not representative of all MS fans, but I'm just sayin'...

Anyway, back to my story. So, Dave and I went to the game with friends Dave met at Auburn his freshman year. (Lawson stayed at the lake with Mel & Ellen.) These friends, Tonia and Jeff House, met each other at Auburn and have been together ever since. They brought their 2 kids, Abigail (5) and Ethan (3), to the game, and they had a great time. Before the game, we ate at a place called Amsterdam Cafe. Apparently, they all remembered this place as being somewhat of a hole in the wall, but it has definitely upgraded! We ate outside on the patio, and it was very pleasant with the great weather Saturday. The food was really good too. We got to the stadium in time to see the eagle fly which was really cool. All in all, I really enjoyed the game, and yes, even cheered Auburn on. And yes, I did wear... ahem... orange. (I didn't use a shaker though. I have my standards.) After the game, we finally made it back to the lake at about midnight!




And now it's time for "the rest of the story." You may wonder why Lawson is at Toomer's Corner. Wasn't he at the lake? Wasn't it a night game? So, why is Lawson there the day after?

Here you go.


Lawson busted his chin while we were at the lake. Just to be safe, we felt like we should have someone check it out, and it just so happens Tonia is a Pediatric ER doctor (who coincidentally pulled a marble from Kate Walker's nose at our wedding reception.) Anyway, Tonia and her family stayed in Auburn after the game, so we loaded Lawson up and headed back to Auburn. Tonia had a doctor's kit with her with that new glue stuff for situations like this and she glued him up beautifully! Lawson was perfectly fine after the procedure so we ate breakfast with the House family and then walked down to show Lawson Toomer's Corner. Lawson loved it; he kept calling it snow! A BIG thanks to Mel, Ellen, and Tonia for taking care of our boy!

9 comments:

Celebration Longs said...

I was wondering if you were going to wear orange or any Auburn gear. Sounds like you had a great game to watch and sorry to hear about Lawson's chin. Glad Tonia was able to help!!!

Haley Penney said...

Courtney I can't believe I missed ya'll! I went by the store before the game and they told me you stopped by. I hate that I missed ya'll and hope that you had a wondeful time in Auburn. Amsterdam is delicious, and they have upgraded the resturant over the past couple of years. Hope Lawson is feeling okay!

kimberly t. bowling said...

My, oh my, don't you just look so adorably becoming in ORANGE, if I do say so myself!! :)

Wish I would have known...we'd have loved to have seen you at the game or on campus.....if only just to get my pic with you in that Auburn attire!!

Sorry to hear of Lawson's chin...funny, Rivers busted his open around that same age--2 1/2 years. Although, he had to have 19stitches, 6 on the inside of his neck area and 13 outside!! :) Lovely. I know. But amazingly, as his face has grown through a decade since, his scar is farther underneath so it's barely visible.

What a blessing to have Tonia available!!

The Cannons said...

Now if that baby had been in Tuscaloosa that probably wouldn't have happened, but glad he's ok.ha Ben(Luke's son) has had stitches 3X in his chin!! Yes, believe it or not. And the 1st set he removed himself one night. When they woke the next AM he had pulled them out during the night! Tough little fellas!!

Lisa said...

Sounds like a fun time at the game for you all. Sorry to hear about Lawson's chin, but glad he's okay.

Jill said...

WOW Tonia is a great women always there when you need her!! Glad to hear Lawson is ok.

hicksfamilycircus said...

Hate to hear about Lawson's little accident but glad he's all patched up now. You impressed me so much with your Orange attire that I mentioned you on my blog. Love ya!

Mizerany Family said...

Every boy I know has a scar on their chin like that. Poor little guy! Unfortunately it probably won't be your last time getting glue.

Anonymous said...

Nice Toomer's pics. Great time for sure.

How's that chin holding up?

House