Monday, September 10, 2007

Dizzy in DC

Well, I finally arrived in DC today and managed to survive the day. My flight was at 8:00 this morning, so I got up and dressed and then fed Lawson about 6:30. The whole family then got into the car and went to the airport. I had two suitcases packed full (since I move into my apartment this week), my computer bag, breastpump, and empty cooler (to transport the breastmilk back on Thursday).

I knew I could only check 2 bags, but I thought I'd ask if they'd check the cooler for me. Of course, they said they'd have to charge me $80. With my nerves already rattled, I opted not to make a scene. Then, my brilliant husband said, "why don't you just put the pump inside the cooler?" Ahh.. thank goodness. This worked perfectly, although I was pretty loaded down on both arms, especially considering I had on 3inch heels.

We had a little extra time, so I sat down and played with Lawson for a few minutes. Then, we took some pictures as I was getting ready to get in the security line. I got a little upset, but held it together for the most part. I was flying an airline I don't normally fly (Northwest), so of course, I had the very last seat which doesn't recline beside the toilet. And, of course, the lady beside me kept trying to ask me questions... I kept ignoring her and/or "um-huming" at her until she quit talking to me. I zoned out until we landed in Detroit (my connection.)

Once in Detroit, I had about an hour until my next flight. I thought I would have enough time to get some food, but it was the longest walk from concourse A to B that I've ever seen! It literally took me 30 minutes - and you have to picture me loaded down on each shoulder like a pack mule. I also knew I needed to stop somewhere and pump. Fortunately, I found a "family bathroom" to do my first public bathroom pump. It went ok, but it just took me a while because I kept washing my hands and putting hand towels under everything... and of course, the hand towel machine was the kind that you have to wave your hand over to work, and it only worked about every other time. Ok, so finally, I leave the bathroom. (Oh, and I forgot, people kept knocking on the door, going, "is anyone in there!!") Arrgg! At this point, I'm at gate A36. My gate is at A3. The flight leaves in 10 minutes. I haul down the concourse and make it just as they are making the last call. Whew.

After I got off the plane in DC, I had to go to baggage claim. I rented one of those carts to get my bags. After waiting for about 30 minutes, I finally got all my things gathered up. At this point, I hopped into a cab and went to the hotel. When I got up to my room, I noticed the door was ajar. I was thinking, oh no, it's still not clean and know I'm going to have to go back downstairs with all this, well, sh*t. I was actually relieved to find out that my room was indeed clean and the housekeepers were just taking a break lounging in my chairs. They seemed pretty embarrassed and were saying something to me in Spanish, but I was just glad to finally get in my room. After I put my stuff down and pumped again, I got in another cab and went to the hosptial business office.

Fortunately, we left the office pretty early tonight (about 5:30), so now I'm just relaxing back at the hotel. You might think that tonight I could get my first full night's sleep, but since my little man still nurses in the middle of the night, I'll be up at midnight, 3:00am, and 6:00am pumping!

I miss my little man, but I know he's in good hands with his Daddy. I hope I can make it through the week. Thursday can't come fast enough! I'll be glad to have Lawson and Dave up here with me in a couple of weeks. We'll be staying together in a 2 bedroom corporate apartment, so hopefully this transition to the busy and long hours of my worklife will be easier.

Thanks for all the prayers and support. (By the way, my travels are usually never this complicated! Get behind me, Satan, get behind me!)

3 comments:

Kim Lawson said...

Loved the bathroom pump bit!! Gotta get Christy Albea to tell you about her pumping in a really quiet restroom at a conference we were attending. Everyone waiting on a stall kept saying what is that noise?!?!?! Love you and see you soon!! Lawson will get a BIG kiss from his Aunt Kim tomorrow!

Brady said...

Well, look at it like this, there won't be many days that bad from now on - You Digg!!!!

Lisa said...

I love you and I'm thinking about you!