Rock-a-bye Baby...Out on the Street
It's been a fairly quiet week at the Long house as we've tried to settle "Little Bit" (as Dave and I frequently refer to Lawson) into more of a routine. (He'll be 6 weeks old on Monday.) Lawson has done pretty well with stretching feeding times to 3 hours (and sometimes even 4!) He usually gets fussy in the last hour though and keeps us on our toes... bouncing, rocking, trying to keep the pacifier in his mouth, etc. We've found that he will often quiet down if we take him on the roof deck or for a stroller ride. On Wednesday, we were using this trick when we took Lawson for a quick ride to the Post Office to get stamps. Now we're just looking forward to getting the nighttime routine more established. I know the books recommend giving baby a bath before his evening feeding, but it seems like he is always sleeping until this time. I'm not sure if I
should wake him for bath time?? So, the poor child often goes to bed without a bath. That reminds me to tell you, I bathed Lawson myself for the first time this week. (I know that sounds a little strange, but this has been Dave and MeMe's job while I make the milk!) Anyway, since his umbilical cord finally fell off, I was able to use his little tub. I had everything ready and put him in and about 2 minutes later he pooped a big poop! I was in the kitchen (a little gross, I guess), so I just sprayed him down with the spray hose. None of this seemed to phase Lawson; he seemed to really enjoy his bath! So, back to our nighttime routine, Lawson has continued to wake up every 2-3 hours for feeding. I, of course, get up with him, but lately I've been handing him off to Dave at about 5:00 or 6:00am for his next feeding since I'm pumping now. Dave gives him a bottle which allows me to get an extra 3-4 hours of sleep. During this time, Dave usually takes him for a stroller ride to get the paper or a ride down the street. This morning, Dave took him to the Farmer's Market; Dave said all was going well until the ride home. Little Bit needed his diaper changed and was crying so loudly that Dave had to stop to change him. Unfortunately, the "stop" was on the front steps of a business doorway. Dave said he "spread out his newspaper and layed Lawson down to change him." Oh, goodness! I guess boys will be boys. So, in summary, I know it's still early, but does anyone have any suggestions for getting baby to sleep through the night? Hope everyone has a nice Father's Day. We'll be visiting Grandmother and Grandfather Long. Today, however, we're taking it easy, watching the U.S. Open, and Dave is making his famous "Pizza Factory" pizza. Dave says he can't wait to get Lawson his own set of golf clubs and take him on the course!
1 comment:
Hey Courtney,
I feel your pain with the sleeping through the night business. I literally read all of the baby books, and tried every home remedy with Avery. The best piece of advice that I can give you is that "every baby is different."
Some babies will sleep through the night right away, but there are others who take up to a year! Usually the ones who sleep through the night right away are the ones who sleep in the bed with mommy, or are given cereal in their bottles. I waited to give cereal to Avery until the doctor recommended-4 months. Avery is just now sleeping through the night at 6 months!
There were times when I was so sleep deprived. Once I even feel asleep at a redlight! During those times I always tried to remind myself that one day soon Avery wouldnt need me to care for him during the night. In fact, the first time that he sleep through the night, I was a little sad.
Babies love routine, so whatever one you have him on- try to stick to it. He will begin to sleep better with time. Good Luck!
Susie K. Wheat
Post a Comment