Saturday, June 23, 2007

Berry Bloggin'

Hello again, you may remember this is the week Dave is out of town on his golf trip in Orlando, so Lawson and I are at Mom and Dad's house. Dave left on Tuesday morning, but not before he and I got to go on our first date (alone!) since Little Bit was born. It actually happened by accident...

Monday night we attended a small cocktail party / reception for a couple in our building - Doug and Sandy Tilt. (Sandy was Lawson's very first babysitter!) Doug pulled the whole thing together as a surprise for Sandy and asked Dave to take pictures; it was their 36th anniversary. We brought Lawson with us and of course all the ladies wanted to hold him. Fortunately, I knew almost everyone there, so I didn't mind him being passed around. The party didn't last too long because Doug also had dinner plans for Sandy. (He had dinner catered for the two of them at a downtown art gallery after it closed to the public. Her gift was to pick any piece she wanted from the gallery. Very romantic!) Doug wanted Dave to take a few snaps at dinner, so he followed behind the couple, while Lawson and I strolled home. Unfortunately, it was looking like rain and Dave was on foot, so he called and asked me to come pick him up. I passed our neighbor Peggy, who was also at the party, and asked her to watch Lawson while I drove to get Dave. As I was leaving, she hollered for us to grab some dinner since we where already dressed up. After I got Dave, we took her up on her offer and went to the Lakeview Oyster House. We had a nice time and I really appreciated the alone time with Dave, but I can't say I was completely "relaxed!" When we picked up Lawson, he was perfectly content with Peggy. She has two grandchildren of her own, so she "has the touch!"

The next day, Dave left and Mom came up to Bham to get me and Lawson. We went through Tuscaloosa to stop at Target on our way home. All was going pretty well until Lawson had the biggest blowout to date - it was coming out the sides and onto his car seat! Mom was standing in line at the service desk, so she wasn't really able to help me, so I went into - gulp - the public restroom to try to clean him up. When we got in there, we were third in line for the changing table and one baby was already crying. With all the noise, I think Lawson was scared; his little lip started to quiver and he started wailing. I couldn't take the thought of putting my 6 week old child on the Target changing table and obviously he couldn't either, so we high-tailed it out of there, dirty car seat and all. I was almost in tears when I told him we would just have to change him in the car! We did, and it seemed Lawson was quite content with our decision.

Since we've been home with Mom and Dad, Lawson and I have had lazy days. Dad has been on vacation this week and taking the 9-midnight and 6-9am shift (well, 6am until MeMe wakes up, and then he usually goes to the Camp House to bushhog or whatever the men do at the Camp House) and I'm able to catch some extra sleep. Then, Lawson and I may play on his Baby Einstein mat or in the swing. These are new activities for Lawson, as he's just getting old enough to be amused by them. He is 6 weeks old this week!! He's also beginning to blow bubbles with his mouth, smile in response to your smile, coo, and MeMe says even laugh - - although, he seems to only do this for her when they are alone. Hmm... Lawson's daddy will be so surprised at all the new things he has learned this week!

Lawson also loves being OUTSIDE! Whenever he's crying, we can take him outside and he usually quits immediately! Mom and I took him for his first golf cart ride this week and he loved it! Also, when Dad gets home in the afternoon, he takes Lawson out to the pool to rock under the shade - he loves it! Lawson has also had a few visitors this week - Miss Sherry and her two granddaughters, Anna and Greyce, Miss Georgia and Michael, Teresa, Hannah, and Curt Howell, and later today Brady and Kim are bringing their crew over to swim. (I keep calling Kim Tyner Bowling to come over, but she's never home!) :)

We'll be going to church tomorrow and then back to Bham on Monday to see Daddy! He calls about twice a day and we text back and forth frequently. He called after his first night away and said Lawson has "got a hold of my heart." :) Dave is driving back on Monday and should be in sometime in the late afternoon. The following day, Tuesday, June 26th, is our 3rd anniversary, although we don't have any plans except to just be together with Lawson. Next week, however, we're vacationing at the beach for the 4th with the entire Lawson crew - yes, that's 7 adults and 5 children! (Hannah Howell's going too.) Should be lots of action and fun!

It's almost time to feed Lawson, so I need to run. I'll try to post some pictures when I'm back at home on my pc (I'm on Mom's right now.) Thanks for all the advice and comments!

2 comments:

hicksfamilycircus said...

Hey Courtney,
Love reading your blog and hearing about Little Lawson. Unfortunately there will be many times in your life that you will use a public changing table and one day it won't phase you at all. Or at least it doesn't me. Just always carry a changing mat with you. :)
Love ya,
Shell

Courtney said...

Ha ha! Yep, I think every mom has been in similar "blow out" situations. Pretty soon you'll learn how to change Lawson in a public RR with one hand doing the work, one hand keeping him from touching anything and even using your legs + feet if you have to. At least you'll know what to pack in your diaper bag for next time. Hand sanitizer + disposable changing mats for us!