Thursday, January 31, 2008

Lawson Gets a Helmet

Well, this is pre-helmet. Lawson and Grandmother and Grandfather Long are REALLY enjoying the video-chatting.




On Tuesday, we finally got Lawson's helmet. The doctor put it on him and kept returning to his secret lab to make adjustments. A 30 minute visit turned into 90 minutes but, ultimately, Lawson seemed to be accepting this new device.

Tuesday was a just a "get to know your helmet" day. He wore it for a little while. He played with it like a toy. Surprise, he just ended up just chewing on the strap.

Wednesday was a little different. For whatever reason, he was NOT happy about the helmet in the morning. Courtney wanted me to post some photos but I didn't think pictures of Lawson crying in his helmet would make for good viewing. He only lasted an hour before I (and he) couldn't take it any more. I took it off and let him have a break. He was due for a nap soon and I knew there was no way he would fall asleep in the mood he was in.

After the nap, it was a different story. Thankfully, he took to the helmet just fine and made it through the three hours required by the schedule. An hour off and then he wore it again for another three hours. Today we are going for four hour stretches and he will have to sleep in it. I hope it goes well.

Here are some photos:

He seems to enjoy it. He bumped into the walls a few times and it actually helped. He bumps into walls anyway so the helmet is keeping his forehead free of bruises for awhile.



Yea! I have a new helmet!



I think he looks like TRON in his new helmet. Can anyone else see the resemblance?


11 comments:

Celebration Longs said...

We are so glad to see and hear that Lawson is adjusting to his new helmet. We can't wait to see you all. Just a few more days!

Anonymous said...

Lawson looks adorable! He is such an easy-going baby, I am sure he will take to his helmet just fine! Love you guys!

hicksfamilycircus said...

Dave, I would feel just the same way you guys do. It's an adjustment for you guys just as much as it is for him. He seems to be such a trooper. Love the Tron thing. You are too funny.

Anonymous said...

Dave, you always make me laugh! But, and this is a big BUT, he cannot be nicknamed TRON! Even though that would be a pretty cool nickname. I wish I was there to help. Can't wait to see you all. Good Luck today.

Anonymous said...

Can I just say that Dave should take a night job being a comedian? Can I say that? ;) Anyway, I hate to say "see, I told you so, but.....SEE, I TOLD YOU SO, what is the first thing you see looking at the pics--LAW'S big SMILE (and his big beautiful eyes), not the helmet! Okay, granted in the TRON picture I notice Lawson's smile AND the big blue neon shield first, but the helmet is way down the list! I love y'all! I'll be praying for a smooth adjustment for all THREE of you.

The Deavours Family said...

I told you the smile will be what they notice. He is precious no matter what!

Mizerany Family said...

Dave - very funny post. Lawson is too cute!

Our Sweet Girls said...

Lawson looks adorable in his new helmet. Just think of it as the "must -have for spring." Good luck with it all! Ali

The James Family said...

Lawson is so precious! I hope everything goes well and Lawson adjusts easily for you guys. I have a big feeling he will do great because he is such a happy baby. Oh, and Dave, Marty LOVES the Tron picture! He is my "computer nerd", so he thought that was too cool how you cropped in Lawson! I will be thinking about y'all! Love y'all, Peyton

Anonymous said...

Aunt CiCi, Uncle Dave, and Baby Lawson,

We love you so much! We hope Lawson's head gets better. Abby wants you to know the ground hog saw his shadow!

Brady said...

Lets paint the it crimson and put a white #12 on the side of that helmet and set destiny in motion. As soon as JB3 graduates, Lawson can take over the QB controls at Alabama for two more years. What do ya think? I'll quit my job for 6 years.