Courtney, being the good mother that she is, signed Lawson up for Kindermusik (see her previous post.) Basically, they use music and movement, etc. and its supposed to be good for the development of your child. Their website boasts "...Kindermusik helps your child's language and math skills. ...children love Kindermusik's fun mix of music and movement. "
All I have to say is: I sure hope its helping Lawson because I don't know what its doing to me. Naturally, I am the only man there. Well, the only man old enough to be out of diapers. I'm getting used to taking on a lot of roles normally reserved for mothers but this is pushing the envelope. There is a lot of singing (by the parents, not the children.) All sopranos and one baritone. There is a lot of dancing (by the parents holding the children.) Generally speaking, I don't think they had fathers in mind when they planned the curriculum. I feel like I've infiltrated a sorority house except its just the singing and making things with their greek letters on them -- none of those pillow fights that are rumored.
If I took estrogen, dated Richard Simmons and joined the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, it would be more masculine than these classes.
Today, we played with these musical balls. The kids really did enjoy that. When we were done and had to put the balls away, the instructor got out a bag and started singing "Balls Away. Balls Away. Balls Away." Yeah, I get it. That pretty much sums it up. I should probably sing that song before entering the class.
Seriously, Lawson and I are enjoying the classes. The third class was today and it was Lawson's first class with his helmet. The other kids found it interesting and the girls seemed to like it. He got a little more attention from the ladies than usual. All right Lawson! He got to bang on a cymbal today and he got a big kick out of that. Although I think he wanted to chew on the mallet more than anything. We listen to the CD at home that they gave us and it actually has a pretty interesting mix -- everything from old Irish and African folk songs to Bach and Mozart to "yea! I'm a baby" songs. We will probably re-enroll after this session is complete.
11 comments:
dave, you are hilarious.
Dave,
Just as a kind gesture, I am begging you to take the camera to Kindermusik. At least a picture of you and Law dancing, but I would LOVE a video of y'all singing "balls away" at class---I bet you could ask one of those sweet mothers to video for you? :)
Thanks for the post---you made my day!
Too hilarious! You are too good!
Kimberly, a video may be too much information at this point. The only thing keeping me going is that I'm doing this for my child. Too much of my dignity has already been left at Kindermusik.:) I don't know if my legacy in cyberspace at this point should be a chorus of "Balls Away." Some things are better left to the imagination.........I do appreciate the request and the kind words, though. Thank you for commenting.
Hilarious!!! I totally get the visual, since I have participated in those mostly-mom things. Again, you're doing a great job Dave, sacrificing your dignity for your child! This post made my otherwise crappy day sunny, thanks! Oh, and FYI, there are lots of "Dad blogs" out there, have you seen them? One I have read in the past is "www[dot]dadgonemad[dot]com"...good comic relief too. Oh, just another thought, you & Courtney should use separate logins for the blog so we can see who wrote the post; sometimes it helps the readers understand the tone at the beginning; another couple I know does it since both parents write...wish MINE would!
Dave, I just gotta tell ya, that's hilarious. Dignity is overrated anyway. I digg it.
That is to funny Dave! We signed Addie up for Gymboree Play/Music Classes and I take her on Saturdays, but you have given me a great idea!!! Erich is going to have to start participating too!!! teehee Raegen :)
I was laughing out loud at this post!!! I have to let Blaine read this when he gets home...maybe then he'll feel a little better about some of the things he gets stuck doing! I think you might be up for Dad-of-the-Year!! :) Have fun...I'm still laughing!!!
Ali
Dave, I laughed out loud through your entire post. You may need to teach Ken the song while we are up in Alabama.
You are too stinking funny Dave! Bennett and I took that class, but I must admit there were no other daddies in the class...you are brave!!
I'm still laughing and probably will all day. I've always told David he was a great comedy writer. Other blogger readers should read his true story about a blind date he went on in Orlando. (many, many years ago , before he even knew Courtney inhabited the planet). I concur with Brady's comment about dignity. Love GM Long
Post a Comment