Sunday, December 28, 2008

Christmas 2008

I hope everyone had a great Christmas this year. Ours was busy, but it was great to see everyone and have a few days of downtime after many days of moving. We finally said our last good-bye to the loft last Sunday and then went to Berry. We had too much stuff though, so Poor Dave had to drive BACK to Birmingham Sunday night and to Berry again!

Mom and I went to Mrs. Judy Johnson's memorial service on Monday; my heart just aches for Katie. Judy was such a wonderful and gracious person. I babysat Katie when I was in college, and Judy would be all dressed up before her and Larry went out for the evening. She always looked so elegant! Judy hosted my bridesmaids luncheon and even a little "goodbye" party when I went to Orlando for the first time. It must have been an amazing day for her to spend Christmas with Jesus!

On Christmas Eve, the Lawson family gathered for dinner. We had wonderful steaks, shrimp, and oysters. The kids had a great time playing together, as usual. After many pleas from Emma and Abby, we finally opened presents. I think the most memorable gift was the magic set John Brady got. He told Pop he was going to make his hair grow! I don't have my cord to download pictures, but I will as soon as I can. The ones of him with his top hat and magic wand are adorable! Lawson particularly liked the "pooping penguin" in his stocking from MEME!! He ate about 100 little pieces of that candy - - since we never allow him to eat candy!

I think all the candy and the late night really threw Lawson off his schedule, so he woke up at 1:00 and finallllly went back to sleep about 3:30 AFTER I climbed IN HIS CRIB with him! I woke up at about 5:00am and got back into bed. I can attest that his mattress is HARD and it IS cold without the little heater on!

Christmas morning Lawson opened his presents from Santa. He got a rocking horse, wood ABC blocks, Legos, Blues Clues DVD (his current FAVORITE!) books, and Elmo Live. I thought he would run to the rocking horse first, but he actually went over to the blocks and played until I diverted his attention to the other things.

We then headed South to see Grandmother and Grandfather Long. We had a great traditional meal of Turkey and Dressing. Grandmother has mastered both - it was a great meal! We opened presents shortly after. Lawson got an adorable Polo fleece jacket - he looks like a little man in it - a Winnie the Pooh and books. Dave and I got a Home Depot gift card which is especially helpful with the new house! Thanks Mel & Ellen!! Over the next couple of days, we went into downtown Alex City and saw the renovations taking place. It's a cute little area. We also drove to the new "Russell Crossroads." The guy from V. Richards gourmet market in Bham is managing a new market there, and the Hastings guy from "Hot and Hot Fish Club" is managing a new restaurant. It all just opened mid-December. We tried to go for a sailboat ride one day, but we couldn't get the motor running. Lawson was all dressed up in his life jacket with no where to go, but he loved running around the pier. The water is only about a foot deep right now, so I wasn't too nervous about that! Dave and I went to bed each night right after Lawson around 7:30! Ahhhh....

So, that brings me to today. We went to church in Alex City and then I had to scoot to the airport. Oh, guess what? One adventure I left out is my snow boot purchase at Wal-Mart! They're just rubber work boots, but they're actually in my size (5) and are actually kinda cute. At least I think so, Dave thinks I've lost my mind. So, I'm headed back to the Tundra with my boots. At least I'll be back Wednesday and off for New Years on Thursday!

We start work on the house tomorrow! Wish us luck! Much love to all!

1 comment:

Celebration Longs said...

It sounds like you all had a busy Christmas weekend. It was great talking to you the other day. I hope the remodeling goes smoothly and you all can be settled into your new home early in 2009!!!