I had a truly precious conversation with my little man the other night as we were reading stories at bedtime. It's been, gosh, almost two weeks ago now, so I hope I can remember it all...
I read the last line of a sweet Christmas book my Mom/Dad gave our family this past Christmas in honor of Lily's impending arrival. The book is called "Room for Little One." The gist is that "Kind Ox" is in the stable and sees various animals passing by out in the cold, and he says to come on in, "There's always room for a little one in here." He says this to a dog, then a cat, then a mouse.. you get the picture. They are all huddled together in peaceful harmony. Then along comes a donkey with Mary on his back. Kind Ox says to Donkey to come on in, "There's always room for a little one in here." And the book ends with these words..."That cold winter's night, beneath the star's light...a little one came for the world."
Lawson said, "Mama, that was Jesus." I said, "Yes Lawson, you're right. Jesus came to save the world." He sat for a minute, and then said, "Mama, how did Jesus learn to fight?"
Hmm..I was stumped by why in the world he was asking me about how Jesus learned to FIGHT! I asked him what did he mean. He said, "Well, if Jesus came to save us, he must of learned to fight the bad guys somehow!"
I realized Lawson was taking the term about "saving us" like he hears all the time about super-heroes. Super-heroes save us by fighting bad guys. Pretty thoughtful of him I thought.
I wanted to help him understand more about what I meant, so I said, "Lawson, Jesus came down from Heaven and died on the cross to save all the people in the world from our sins." I could tell this was just confusing him more. It's hard when you're forced to try to put the story of Jesus into easy terms and not the quick phrases you hear in church all the time. I tried again..
"Lawson, God says in the Bible that if we want to go to Heaven then we need believe in Jesus and do what he tells us to do in the Bible." Lawson said, "Mama, I believe in Jesus." So proud, I said, "I know you do, Lawson, and you'll go to Heaven someday."
Then Lawson goes, "Mama, bad guys don't go to Heaven." (Deep breath) "Well, it's not up to us to decide. Only God decides to goes to Heaven." Not missing a beat he says, "If you don't go to Heaven, where do you go." (Gulp.) "Well, Lawson, if you don't go to Heaven, then you go to...Hell." "What's Hell?" (Oh my.) "Well, Hell is a bad place and everyone is very sad there all the time." Lawson, "And bad guys go there, right?" "Weeeell, if they believe in Jesus God says they will go to Heaven."
Then he asked more questions about Hell, and we talked a little bit about fire which completely intrigued him. I managed to avoid any discussion about the Devil, thank goodness! And we talked more about Heaven and his idea that we won't have bodies in Heaven. You can see how the discussion quickly unraveled into more interesting topics for a 5-year old!
Matthew 18:3 And he said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.
2 comments:
Such a precious story. Sounds like you have a smart little guy!
Sweet spirit. Such a wonderful memory.
Post a Comment