Anyway, the test confirmed Lawson does have a peanut and egg allergy, and Lawson should not have either of these items, including peanut butter, for a couple of years or more. Although, the doctor said he thinks he will outgrow both. He said the egg allergy is the worse than the peanut, but that most children outgrow egg allergies. He also said only 20% of children outgrow peanut allergies, but he said his was mild enough he thought he would. We go back for a check-up in 6 months and will do another scratch test in another year or so to see how the allergies are progressing. The doctor prescribed an epi-pen jr. as a precaution. He said these should only be used in an emergency to buy time to get to the hospital when it appears the child is having severe breathing problems.
The grid on Law's back reads: 1= control, 2=control, E=Egg, P=Peanut, FM=Fish Mix, SF=Shell Fish, W=Walnut, P=Pecan, A=Almond, C=Cashew. (The control is supposed to be red.)
Law did pretty good with the test, but I was glad Dave was there to hold him still.
7 comments:
Oh my goodness! It must feel a little better to know what the triggers are with the allergic reactions. Has Lawson had any peanut butter? Glad to hear it is mild. I need to send you our peanut free list of snacks and foods that we use at school. Hang in there. Let us know if there is anything we can do to help!
What a coincidence! I had my allergy scratch test yesterday, too. Mine wasn't food, though. I will be getting my epi-pen next week. Glad to know what's been triggering the break outs. Poor fellow--peanuts or peanut oil is uesd in MANY foods!! Maybe he will grow out of it. If he doesn't, there's worst things to have. Schools are awesome about helping parents and kids with food allergies. During lunch at the elementary school, the kids with those type allergies have to sit at a certain table. Good luck! Give Lawson a big Aunt Kim kiss!
Poor little guy...I had that done when I was kid many times. I read an article recently that said to help outgrow an egg allergy, serve your child a bite of cake (or some other food with egg in it), then work up to a few bites weeks later, then a slice, then eggs by themself. Of course, I would run this past your doctor first.
So the allergy kids get to sit at a "special" table? Oh that'll help Lawson get in with the cool kids. Do they have special tables for bedwetters too? We may as well go ahead and identify them to their fellow students. Poor Lawson, I hope he doesn't have to sit at the allergy table. The Dr. said the peanut allergy was mild and that kids usually grow out of the egg one so hopefully that won't be the case.
Some schools are completely peanut-free due to the severe peanut allergy some kids have (and some airlines, too). But it sounds like his is mild (i.e., only gets it when he *eats* peanuts, eh?). My nephew has the severe kind, where being in the same room as peanuts would send him to the ER. Sounds like Lawson's is nothing like that, thank goodness.
I will be keeping little Law in my prayers! It is good that you all found out early and it is not a horrible case! I would love to get him and Lily Grace back together soon!
Spencer is allergic to peanuts & eggs too amongst A LOT of other stuff. Hang in there! It is hard at first, but it gets easier. AND NO he does not have to sit at the "special" table! :)
Post a Comment