Sunday, February 13, 2011

NYC

I had a business trip in New York this past week, so Dave came up with me while Grandmother Long kept Lawson (thanks so much, Ellen!!)  Dave didn't have any specific plans while I was in meetings, but one day while he was in Times Square he came across a David Letterman representative giving away tickets for the show that day!  He got to see Elton John give a live performance on a grand piano - Dave said it was amazing!  He was about 6 rows back and in the center; he said EJ was just a few feet away from him playing the piano. 


Aside from business meetings, I also got to do something unexpected.  As a team event, we went to Trapeze School!  I thought it was a neat idea, but I was a little nervous.  I had just about decided that I wasn't going to do it, but then everyone on our team did it and did fantastic!  I hated to be the only one who didn't try it.  The way to get up to the platform was using a regular old extension ladder extended completely out.  I got about halfway up, looked down, and started.... crying!  Anxiety had set in!  "I can't do it - I can't do it!"  One of the helper folks ran up the ladder and helped me get up to the top.  Once I got up to the top, it took several more minutes of coaxing and even more tears, but I did finally make the jump even though all I did was just hang there!  I was glad to get DOWN!  I never realized I was so afraid of heights!?!

My amazing colleagues...

 And then me..

On Friday, everyone else went home, but Dave and I took a late flight so we could hang out together in the city.  We took the subway to see the "secret subway station" click here, walked across the Brooklyn bridge, had appetizers at Les Halles (Anthony Bourtain's restaurant), went to ground zero and to the newly opened museum (we didn't realize it was open, so it was an unanticipated 1.5 hour stop; it was intensely emotional), so after all that, we went to a much needed early dinner at Craftbar (Tom Colicchio's sister restaurant to the more expensive 'Craft' restaurant).  Can you tell we're Top Chef fans??  After dinner, we took a 9pm flight back to Birmingham - we were both ready to see our little man!  Dave and I love the city; it's a big part of our story together.

3 comments:

Dave Long said...

Just for the record: while seeing Elton John and Leon Russell play two concert-sized grand pianos from about 25 feet away was awesome, I did NOT refer to ANYONE as "EJ." That was Courtney's abbreviation.

kimberly t. bowling said...

Clarification is key. :)

kimberly t. bowling said...

And BTW, you're a lucky dog!

And Court...love the trapeze pics!