Monday, August 23, 2010

Oatmeal Cookies

My blogger friends Raegan and Kim have given me the hankering to do some baking - generally a bad idea for me which I why I don't do it often.  At any rate, I decided me and Law-man would make oatmeal cookies Sunday after church. 

My mother-in-law Ellen makes the BEST oatmeal cookies I've ever tasted, and that includes those cooked by Berry Elementary School cafeteria - sorry ladies, so I knew Dave would be pleased with my choice when he returned from playing golf.  Before I told Law what we were doing, I measured everything out in advance and had it ready to go in little bowls, measuring cups, etc so he could just pour it in.  I remembered to pre-heat the oven, and I knew I had all the ingredients (a big accomplishment for me), so I thought we were ready to go.  Everything went fine, and they actually tasted pretty good - but not great and not like Ellen's.  Dave and I were trying to diagnose why... he said, "did you use any Crisco?"  I said, "No, the recipe didn't call for any!"  Dave says, "Ah, any good dessert usually has some Crisco in it."  I was feeling bummed that I didn't know this apparent "code of bakers" that I should have tossed in Crisco at some point when I said, "Hey, is baking powder the same as baking soda?"  Dave laughed and said absolutely not.  Hmm...maybe that was the problem...


Law can't touch or eat the raw cookie dough,
so I let him eat sugar out of a bowl instead...

4 comments:

Raegan & Caleb said...

Did you know there are eggless cookie recipes out there? I stumbled across them when I ran out of eggs one day but wanted to bake. http://www.eggless.com/

Also if Lawson wants to eat raw cookie dough, make a small portion without the egg for him. I did that when I was pregnant and absolutely had to have my fix of raw cookie dough.

kimberly t. bowling said...

Ooohhh.....the old baking soda, baking powder dilemma. We've all been there, a time or two. :) The cookies sound delish, I love family recipes....any chance Ellen would mind you sharing it?

And BTW, Law's mom certainly does ROCK! :)

Joy said...

Keep trying...you will get it. Try making them with Ellen around to give you pointers.

Lisa said...

You crack me up, Betty Crocker!!