Thursday, August 30, 2007

Back to Work

I know, I know... I've neglected the blog! So much to catch up on... I was supposed to start back to work on Monday this week, but I actually started getting pulled into work last week. It all started when I found out my next project assignment was going to be at a hospital in Arlington, Virginia (just outside DC) and that I needed to report to the hospital September 4th. I already had something booked here at UAB that week, so I was able to push my start date until the 10th. We've been full speed ahead ever since. We had our first meeting (via phone) with the client this week, and I've been busy with picking out apartments, establishing a project budget, working on a project workplan, and creating meeting agendas. Since I have to be onsite at the hospital every week for the next 11 months, Dave is likely going to drive our car up there and the 3 of us will stay in the corporate apartments for a while. I'm hoping the apartments will be in the Arlington area; I hear it's really nice. Here's something kinda wild... apparently the Chief Information Officer (CIO) works for the hospital in DC, lives in Birmingham, and commutes weekly as well. He was actually on the call we had earlier this week, but we didn't get to chat about the 'Ham. Maybe another time.

Since I've been busy this week with work, Dave has officially taken over as Mr. Mom. He's doing a really great job - honestly! The first day was a little rough, we both admit, but ever since then things have gone pretty well. Lawson even sleeps better for him during the day than he ever did for me! If only we could get him to sleep at night...

So, I haven't wrote too much about Lawson sleeping lately because I think everyone I know who has a infant has one that is sleeping like an angel. It was (is) getting depressing to think about. The books say 97% of babies sleep through the night by 3 months. Did you hear that? 97%! Although, I was thinking tonight as I was rocking Lawson that God probably has to distribute those 3% babies to families who are in a position to take this kind of sleep deprivation. Perhaps since I was able to take an extended leave and Dave was able to be home with me, God thought we were good candidates for a 3 percenter. That makes me feel a little better, I guess. It's hard to argue with divine intervention. Anyway, the deal is that he usually sleeps from 9:30-12:30 and lately he's been waking up about hourly after 12:30. We started giving him 1 formula bottle at his 9:00 feeding in hopes that would help, but it didn't. After reading more about Dr. Ferber's method, he says not to do the "cry it out" thing until at least 4 months. That's approaching soon, so we'll probably wait until we're settled in DC and then try that. In the meantime, yes, the blog is suffering! :)

What else... Dave and I made it to church 2 Sundays in a row. We really enjoy our Sunday school class. This past Sunday was particularly fun because all the ladies from class who were pregnant the same time as me were there. We all had our babies within a few weeks of each other. Little Bennett Mizerany was in class with her mom and dad; she's so beautiful! She and Lawson both got a little fussy, so their dads had to take them outside halfway through class. Also, baby Hilsmier was christened on Sunday, so we got to see that. Our church is pretty big and has tons of young families, so it was nice to finally know the baby being christened. It makes church feel like home. Anyway, little Matthew Hilsmier was in a beautiful gown his aunt handmade for him. It was a sweet ceremony. Finally, the twins (Paul & Luke Mills) were there too. It was funny to see all of us taking up all the back pews! The preacher seems to get a kick out of all us too. He usually comes by to see the babies before the processional. The sermon series he's on now is the "Beatitudes;" blessed are the... sleep deprived?

Then there was UAB Fan Day... we took Lawson to see Uncle Josh and meet some of the players. We thought there was going to be breakfast, but apparently we were too late for that. Considering how hungry we were, we didn't stay too long, but we did at least get a few cute pictures! Later that night, my oldest brother, Brady, brought his family up from Tuscaloosa to see us. Dave got the kids to help him make pizza; they had a good time helping spread the sauce and sprinkle the cheese. Although, the next day, we realized there may have been more cheese on the floor than on the pizza! Fortunately, we were able to tell Uncle Josh earlier in the day about the family gathering, so he joined us as well. He has been working crazy hours in preparation for UAB's first game, so we were so excited to have him. Good luck to Uncle Josh coaching the UAB Blazers against Michigan State this weekend!!

I think that's about all. Just pray for us as Dave and I both start "new jobs" and we try to get Lawson to start sleeping better.







(Lawson wore this Sunday; Dave wore it when he was a baby.)


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great pictures. I am sure everything will settle down once you get to Virginia. But I know it is hard to think about not being with Lawson during the day. I know Dave will do a wonderful job. By the way - I think my David had an outfit exactly like the one Dave and Lawson shared. Small world.

Courtney said...

First of all, did you know that "sleeping through the night" is technically defined as only 5 hours, according to baby books. So you're getting there. The other thing to keep in mind is that some Moms will exaggerate how well their child sleeps; it's crazy but it's the start of bragging on your child I think. My favorite book is the Baby Book, by Dr. Sears; some alternate thinking to Ferber. But you have to read the books, and keep your own instinct in mind too. I have done all the things the books say not to: rocked the girls to sleep, nursed them to sleep, etc. and somehow they have managed to learn to go to sleep and stay asleep. Ava didn't sleep consistently more than 8 hours before she was 11 months old! And Livi gets up usually once at 3/4 am, after going down around 9:30...so it's not necessarily a magical night of 11 hours of sleep for us! Anyway, I think the Sears book has some good suggestions for getting your little man to settle back down during the night. I hope you all get more sleep soon!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for everyone's support. I've gotten some good comments and emails! Love to all!

Lisa said...

good luck with the new transitions! I can't comment much on the sleeping (but you can bet I'll be asking you and my sister when I eventually have babies!), but I know you guys are wonderful parents! How wonderful to have your family so close, as well - I love hearing about all the outings.

Anonymous said...

Court,

As usual, I love all the sweet pictures! Okay, so maybe Josh wouldn't appreciate being called "sweet looking"---so I'll add that Lawson certainly has a handsome Uncle at UAB! :) I will certainly lift you and your precious family up in prayers as you all begin this new phase in life. Lawson is very blessed to have such an outstanding Mom and wonderful Dad. As far as the sleep issue.....it's all trial and error basically--I wish there were more defined answers but each little being God creates is completely different. Y'all are doing great though! Love you!